Sunday, August 21, 2011

Test Driving The Rodent



I'm sitting here looking at this thing and wondering if I'm really going to take Solar Trucker apart and put it back together again using Chipmunk physics instead of Box2D. For some reason I was unable to get a proper handle on adding and removing objects to / from the screen in Box2D, I was constantly crashing the thing. I switched over to Chipmunk and hit upon a method that I think will give me all the behaviors I need, in a way that I find more intuitive. I recognize this might not be the best way to choose technologies, but look, one of the problems with using a very new SDK (MOAI in this case) is that while you may have documentation, you don't yet have this massive pool of amateur developers and their tales of workarounds, abandoned projects, successes, pet peeves, etc. that you would get by working in something like Flash or even Unity. Thus I end up spending way more time tinkering around in test beds like this one than I do actually working on the game, but supposedly this how you get good, so I don't really have a problem with it.

  So I'm 90% ready to make the jump, but switching physics engine midstream is kind of like trying to replace the transmission of a moving car. It makes a lot more sense to me to just rebuild the game around the Chipmunk implementation I have for this demo. At least I know it works, and how long could that possibly take, right?  


Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment