Just truckin through my backlog, on my way to full vertical slice, and not that far off either. The shooting and jumping aren't exactly ... inspiring, but at least they work. I spent a lot of time fooling with gravity when I was making the floor and platform tiles, trying to find that right scale for the "running jump" mechanic. The way I wanted it to work, you could complete the level just walking, like if you didn't ever realize holding the fire button makes you go faster (I do change the animation, I tried to make it obvious), you should be able to get all five bus transfers just by jumping normally, although you'd have to take some circuitous routes and it would be a pain in the ass. At the same time the running jump couldn't be too powerful, or since the platforms are so close together you get this queasy thing where the player just jumps toward the side of a platform, slides up, and ends up standing on top, which isn't very jump-like. I tried adding a RigidBody component for physics jumps in the hopes of getting something springier, but the intersection of the RigidBody and character controller was causing some Exorcist-like behavior so I bailed on that one. I'm not thrilled with where it's at now, but I can live with it a while longer.
Anything the player can touch is a primitive 32x32 cube displayng a frame (via a scaled and offset material) of one of two 256x256 tile sheets. The buildings and clouds are big textures (the clouds are 4096 wide) painted on scaled up quads, and scripted to move in parallax to the player. Most of the collision volumes are cubes the size of the tiles, but platforms have scaled down collision boxes, as do some of the objects. I'm still using the old pickups but I'll probably make them tiles too eventually. The frame rate hangs reliably in the triple digits. This concludes, knock on wood, the technical implementation of the guts of the game. The rest is window dressing, oh and design.
I re-learned some things about instantiating and destroyng prefabs. I spent a little too much time re-learning that a switch/case runs on break; statements and yes, they mean it, and any code you had in that function below the switch/case is not getting run, which is probably why it is not as effective as you thought it would be. At least, I think that's what happened ... regardless, it works now. I re-learned that your first level design instincts are often too big. This level is actually pretty small for a platformer now, but only because I wanted everything to feel closer together. In a sense all the objects really are kind of tetris-jammed together, but it's really the same set of elements from the larger draft of the level, just brought in tighter, I think I only deleted like two objects. It's odd that I got a lot of stuff right the first time but I got the scale totally wrong.
The actual design of the level, given the constraints imposed by the grid, the jump tuning, and the five bus passes (plus a bus stop), was dirt simple. Figure out how to make a bus pass hard to get to, then do four variations. One is on a catwalk, another is tucked behind a roving skeleton, one is in a corner. None require run jumps but all are made easier by run jumps, run jump is frankly a little OP right now but it feels better than it did. I even started to polish a little by adding particle effects to the bus passes, but of course now I'll need particle effects for everything...
Next is the level-end bus-pickup "experience", the fail/restart, maybe some options geegaws, and another say three levels, all built with similarly small tilesets, maybe one extra enemy per level and that's about it. With my schedule the end is still months away, but I can see it, coming ever more clearly into focus. Gotta get this puppy out the door!